How to Renew SSL Certificate?
Everything You Need to Know About Renewing SSL Certificate
What Happens if you Forget to Renew SSL Certificate?
If you forget to renew SSL certificate, then a warning message, “The site’s security certificate is expired” displayed on the user’s screen. The cyber criminals could take advantage of expired SSL certificate and may try to steal and tamper the information transmitting between the browser and server.
Needless to say, the customers can hardly trust you if they find the certificate to be expired. This could lead to a massive dent as far as your reputation on the web is concerned. If your website is an online business platform, you better start praying.
How to Renew SSL? – Renew SSL Certificate in 4 Easy Steps
For renewing your SSL/TLS certificate, certain steps need to be taken, and they’re as follows:
- Buying renewal SSL Certificate.
- Activation of renewal SSL certificate.
- Validation of renewal SSL certificate.
- Installation of renewal SSL certificate.
1. Buying Renewal SSL/TLS Certificate:
And it’s possible to add renewal of your SSL/TLS certificate to your cart, right from the received notification email of SSL renewal, or you can even log in to your account and continue the process.
Renewing From Received Email
Simply click “Renew Now” from the received email. It’ll redirect you to the cart. Once you complete the pending process of purchasing the SSL, you’ll further need to activate that purchased SSL and install it.
Renewing From Account Panel
- Go to your SSL certificate provider website and login to your account.
- Now, go to Expiring/Expired and then Products section into the account. And, click on the cart icon, which is next to the certificate you’re looking to renew. And, you’ll be redirected to the cart.
On the other hand, if you’re aware that your SSL/TLS certificate’s expiration date is near and you want to renew it earlier, it’s possible. You can renew your SSL/TLS certificate before 30 to 90 days of the expiration date. Also, the days left in the existing SSL/TLS certificate will be added to your newly purchased SSL/TLS certificate.
|Renewal Benefits Options||Renewal Bonus|
|Before 1-15 days Before Expiry||1 Month|
|Before 16-45 days Before Expiry||2 Months|
|Before 46-90 days Before Expiry||3 Months|
|After 1-15 days of Expiry||1 Month|
2. Activation of Renewal SSL/TLS Certificate
- From Cpanel (Control Panel), generate a new CSR code.
- In the Domain List section, select the option: All Products
- Through the search area, type the domain name that’s linked with that renewal SSL/TLS certificate.
- Click the arrow button beside the domain of the certificate. Now, go to the certificate which displays the ‘NEWRENEWAL’ status. And, click the Activate button.
3. Validation of Renewal SSL/TLS Certificate
- File based Verification
- Email Verification
- Domain Registrar’s information
4. Installation of Renewal SSL/TLS Certificate
Where to Renew SSL Certificate?
As it happens most of the times, the website owners forget about renewing the SSL certificates. The SSL certificate providers are well aware of this fact and therefore they keep sending timely reminders to the certificate holders. So, keep checking your mail box to avoid any troubles.
Whether you have purchased SSL certificate(s) from a certificate authority (CA) or a reseller, you can contact and ask their support staff to get some discount.
SSL Renewal FAQs
Does SSL/TLS Certificate expire?
How to know whether my SSL/TLS Certificate is expired?
Can I use the same CSR to renew my SSL/TLS certificate?
Do I need a new CSR when Renewing SSL?
Yes, new CSR is needed whenever you renew your SSL/TLS Certificate, as they are generated uniquely.
How long does it take to Renew an SSL Certificate?
Once your SSL Certificate expires, it needs to be renewed. Again, the issuance time length is same as of you purchased for the first time. If you are renewing a Domain Validated (DV) SSL Certificate, it will be done within a matter of minutes. If you’re renewing an Organization Validated (OV) SSL Certificate, it will take about 1-3 days and if it’s an Extended Validated (EV) SSL Certificate, it will take around 1-5 days.
How do I extend my SSL certificate expiration?
No, you cannot extend the expiration or validity period of your installed SSL/TLS Certificate. But it’s possible for you to renew your SSL/TLS Certificate 90 days before expiration.